Lambs are league champions!

By Contributor in Football

Carlsberg South West Peninsula premier

Tavistock AFC 4

Bodmin Town 1

THE Lambs were crowned as South Western League Premier champions last Wednesday after they recorded a convincing victory over title contenders Bodmin Town.  

The Lambs got off to the perfect start when they opened the scoring in the first minute. From the kick-off, a great pass to Glynn Hobbs, resulted in him providing the perfect pass for Luke Brown to fire home low into the corner of the net.

This produced an immediate response from Bodmin as they started to get their passing game going, but it was Tavistock that went close to increasing their lead when Moor in the visitors’ goal made a fine save to deny Luke Brown.

Although the visitors enjoyed plenty of possession, they found it difficult to break down the resilient Lambs’ defence. Their first real attempt to level scores came in the 20th minute when a Sullivan cross was headed wide of the target by Seymour. Both teams played some really attractive football to keep a crowd of more than 700 entertained.

In the 36th minute Bodmin’s Pearce shot wide of the target when well placed. Two minutes later the home team’s lead doubled their lead. A top quality move saw Glynn Hobbs find Luke Brown, his slick pass found Jack Crago who finished with aplomb.

Just before the interval another fine move by the home team saw Josh Grant’s header well saved by Moor.

The second half started off at a tremendous pace with the game flowing from end to end. Five minutes into the half Bodmin made a substitution and brought on striker Adam Carter. He immediately made an impact but he headed wide of the target from a corner kick.

On the hour the Lambs had a great opportunity to increase their lead; an excellent move saw Grant find Hobbs, his sublime pass found Crago, but his shot that looked destined for goal then was blocked by a defender.

Three minutes later the home team increased their lead Crago showed his pace down the left; he cut inside and provided a pass to Hobbs, who blasted a powerful unstoppable shot into the net, his 53rd goal of the season. Two minutes later Hobbs had another shot cleared off the line.

A fine Bodmin team continued to have a good share of possession and reduced the deficit in the 75th minute when they were awarded a penalty when Adam Carter was brought down inside the area. Carter made no mistake from the spot as he fired the ball home.

There was an immediate response by the Lambs, who scored two minutes later, when substitute Tyler Elliot found Ben Cross, he provided a perfect cross for Hobbs to get his second of the evening.

Bodmin kept playing right to the end but with Josh Oak dealing with any crosses into the box, and a defence that were in terrific form the visitors never really threatened the home goal.

The final whistle went to what was a great game of football between two really good teams. The party could now begin as this well earned deserved victory secured the title for the Lambs.

This was a terrific team effort, everyone can be proud of their individual performance.

It has been a terrific season manager and Stewart Henderson has been superb along with his assistant Ken Ord. The players have been totally dedicated training twice a week, with special conditioning sessions. All this has lead to what is probably the biggest achievement in the club’s history.

Plymouth Parkway 2 Tavistock AFC 3

THE Lambs completed their league programme last Friday with a hard earned victory over Plymouth Parkway.

The hosts formed a guard of honour as they took the field in acknowledgement of the fine achievement of the Lambs becoming league champions.

The Lambs got off to the worst possible start conceding in the second minute. A free kick from Jordan Trott saw Josh Zimmerman glance the ball into the corner of the net.

The visitors responded after this set back and started to control possession, producing some fine pass and move football.  Jack Crago had a good opportunity to level the scores but his shot was well saved by Cory Harvey.

The game was all square in the 12th minute when following another fine move the ball came to Glynn Hobbs, his thunderbolt shot from 25 yards went right in the top corner of the net to record his 53rd league goal for the season.

Ten minutes later the visitors should have taken the lead when Dave Hallett found Glynn Hobbs with a short corner kick, but Hobbs’ shot whistled inches over the bar.

Tavistock continued to control the play creating several scoring opportunities. In the 34th minute a great passing move saw Hallett find Hobbs, his perfection pass found Crago in the penalty area, but his shot went over the crossbar. Josh Grant then shot just wide of the target from 22 yards.

Parkway then produced a fine move down the left flank where Trott produced a wonderful cross into the six yard box which was only inches out of the reach of the on rushing Wright and Zimmerman. Josh Grant was then called upon to make a smart save to deny Head from scoring.

Jack Crago then had a fine effort well saved by Harvey, the ball fell to Glynn Hobbs, but he dragged his shot inches wide of the target.

The Lambs took a deserved lead in the 42nd minute when a fantastic move saw Dave Hallett find Glynn Hobbs, who turned provider as he played the perfect defence splitting pass to put Jack Crago in on goal, who calmly placed the ball wide of Harvey into the corner of the net.

The Lambs started the second half well with Tyler Elliot going close and Jack Crago was crudely brought down just outside the penalty area, but Dave Hallett’s kick was cleared.

Parkway were now giving a really good account of themselves and the visitors defence were now coming under some pressure, but the Lambs back four were in fine form again, so the home team found it difficult to break them down.

A really good move between Dave Hallett and Ben Cross saw the ball find Hobbs but his fierce shot deflected away for a corner kick. From the corner kick a Dan Evans header flashed inches over the crossbar.

Parkway levelled the scores in the 73rd minute when, following a move down the left, a cross into the box was cleared but the ball fell to Jamie Bass who curled a left foot  from the angle of the penalty area, into the far top corner of the net.

Josh Oak was then called upon to make a really good save pushing a shot from Thompson away for a corner kick.

The Lambs should have taken the lead in the 80th minute when Hobbs and Grant combined well to set up substitute Ricki Shepherd in, but he sliced his shot wide of the target when he should have hit the target.

Five minutes later the Lambs did regain the lead when Glynn Hobbs made a great powerful run into the penalty area before squaring the perfect pass to find Josh Grant who rammed the ball home from six yards.  Parkway pushed hard in the last few minutes but the Lambs defence held firm in order to record another victory.

Derek Pethick, on behalf of the club, said:?‘Everyone can be proud of what they have achieved, it’s been a complete team effort.

‘Manager Stewart Henderson and assistant Ken Ord along with all the players have been brilliant throughout the season and done the club proud. The next big challenge for this group is to successfully defend their title next season.

‘Thanks must also go to our loyal supporters who must have enjoyed this successful season.’

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C