D Division West

Yelverton Bohemians v Whitchurch Wayfarers

AN enthralling contest was ruined by bad weather after this match was abandoned in the second innings.

Mindful of his fragile lower order, Whitchurch captain Powell opted to ask Yelverton to bat first.

They got off to a solid start with Geoff Brain (38) and Dan Cooper putting on 83 for the first wicket before Brain was caught behind by Cotter off the bowling off Poole (1-39) in the 18th over.

Townsend joined Cooper at the crease and the pair put on 62 before Townsend was bowled for 20. Cooper was eventually dismissed for 62 as Barriball took a good catch in the deep with the score on 186-3.

There were solid contributions from Christiaan Van Niekirk (18) and Anis Zubair (22) making the score 210-4 with eight overs left.

The latter stages of the innings saw the run rate increase thanks to Ben Grove (38 off 22) and Hadleigh Scott-Kirk (24 off 7) finding the boundary with ease.

Scott-Kirk and Giles Beauchamp (8*) finished off the innings at 291-6, with Yelverton seemingly in control of the game at tea.

Rain had been falling sporadically during the first innings, but worsened as the second innings began.

Whitchurch made a great start, all too aware that they needed to be ahead of the required rate from 20 overs onwards if the game was shortened.

Openers Ben Powell (64*) and R Hall (18) were able to get Whitchurch ahead of the curve as they put on 52 for the first wicket before Hall was bowled by James Casey. It was the only wicket that would fall in the innings, with Nigel Barriball (15*) continuing the assault when he came into bat.

Their efforts all came to nothing as the players headed off after 15 overs, five overs before a result can be called. Whitchurch finished on 100-1, with both sides picking up 11 points from the abandoned game.

Yelverton face league leaders Kenn at home next week. The visitors are 35 points ahead of Yelverton with eight matches remaining, so a win is imperative to keep their title hopes alive.

Whitchurch’s 1st eleven are away on Saturday to St Marychurch OB. The seconds are home to Cornwood.

2nd Division West

Shaldon 2nds v Whitchurch 2nds

WHITCHURCH seconds travelled to Shaldon with a team of experience and youth, all of whom played their part in a nail biting, low scoring affair.

Skipper Webber won the toss and asked the hosts to bat first looking to secure bowling points. Hall and Ord kept things very tight in the early overs as Shaldon found runs hard to come by. 

The pitch was slow with variable bounce. Shaldon had made 45 in 20 overs when Macrae got the breakthrough. Alex Rich then struck immediately as one down became two. Rich bowling a very economical spell conceding just nine runs from seven overs.

Macrae was then in the action, affecting a run out to remove top scorer Crocker for 41. He would take two more wickets to finish with three for 18 including five maidens.

As the overs ran down, Larkham tried to advance the score. Two wickets apiece from Nathan Prout and skipper Webber meant he was running out of partners.

Larkham finishing on 31 not out and his team on 132-9.

Whitchurch’s batsmen have been struggling for runs, so the chase was never going to be easy. Credicott and Dunne made a solid start adding 29 for the first wicket. 

There then followed a collapse as Whitchurch limped to 50-4. The old heads of Tamblin and Powell knew the game rested on their shoulders. They steadily accrued runs, whittling down the target. 

The overs were never going to be a problem but patience was the key. They added 67 for the fifth wicket when Tamblin edged behind for 23 off Paget (2 for 13).

Powell marshalled the remainder of the chase, with Alex Rich playing his part.

Powell won the game with a six and completed a deserved half century.

Whitchurch won by five wickets, taking 19 points from the game.