South West Peninsula League Premier Division East

This game was always going to be a potential banana skin for Argyle as Holsworthy have been in fine form of late and the corresponding home fixture at Simmons Park on Boxing Day had been a hard fought affair.

Argyle had a full squad out apart from centre-back Ryan Davies, who is still recovering from a knee injury.

The Okes played well in the first half and appeared to be on the way to a comfortable win, but they went off the boil in the second half and Holsworthy came back to make a real game of it.

Okey dominated the early play and took the lead after 10 minutes when a great kick from keeper Aaron Dearing was picked up wide on the right by Ben Bickle.

He beat two defenders and then pulled the ball back for Luke Mortimore to poke home.

Argyle continued to dominate and on 38 minutes, great work by Jake Rowe in midfield played in Luke Mortimore who beat the Holsworthy full-back and crossed for Bickle to rise the highest and head home.

There was no further scoring before half-time with Okehampton seeming to have the game well under control.

Argyle were a bit off their game second half and allowed Holsworthy back in. The match was now much more even and about midway through the half, the home side pulled one back with a well taken goal by Ollie Bray.

Okehampton should have increased their lead but after doing all the hard work, Jake Rowe missed an open goal from two yards out. There was no further scoring and the game ended with a slender win for Okehampton.

This was a hard-working performance and ensures Argyle will finish in the top three this season with five games left to play.

Supporters voted the man of the match award to go to Bickle with Luke Alden, Jake Rowe and Dan Butler in close attendance.

On Saturday, Argyle are at home to Ottery St Mary, kick-off 3pm.

The reserves played their last game of the season at home to Lyme Regis and were hampered by a series of injuries although playing some good football.

Despite playing most of the first half with only 10 men, they went in at half-time with the score at 0-0.

Okey finished the game with only eight men despite having used all three substitutes and it was a brave performance to only lose 2-0, still coming forward and pressing despite their lack of numbers.

The Thirds finished their season with a heavy home defeat against Uplyme but were once again stretched for players.