D Division (W)

HAVING been relegated by a single point last season, Yelverton Bohemians were looking to make an immediate return to C division, and the first match of the season saw them face South Brent CC, playing their first ever league match.

On an unexpectedly bright day, but with rain forecast later, South Brent won the toss and elected to field.

Captain Richard West quickly set about punishing some slightly wayward South Brent bowling, reaching 44 including seven 4s in 16 overs before being caught at square leg off the bowling of Pete Glen. His fellow opener Luke Julyan was more circumspect, and joined by Richard Townsend, the run rate remained at 5 per over. Having reached drinks well set at 107-1, Yelverton accelerated further, Townsend despatching 2 sixes and 10 fours.

He eventually fell for 76, being bowled trying to launch Dave Lewis for another maximum. 16 year old Julyan was approaching his maiden 1st team half century, which he brought up with a well run 2 through the off side.

He fell shortly after, caught for 57 off the bowling of Adam Cook. Anis Zubair (36) was playing a typically elegant innings including three 4s and two 6s, before being adjudged LBW to give Lewis his second wicket. Sam Parker and Australian Pete Lojszczyk continued to attack the bowling before Yelverton, with one eye on the weather, declared having used 38 of their maximum 45 over at 260-4.

In reply, South Brent started cautiously against the strong Yelverton pace attack. Lojszczyk and Sam Crompton (0-7) took the new ball, managed to keep the South Brent openers quiet, conceding 15 runs off the opening 9 overs.

On a pitch offering assistance to the spinners, all-rounder West bought himself on to bowl his off spin, and there was almost immediate reward when Yelverton thought they had Pete Glenn caught behind, only for the decision to go in the favour of the batsman.

Their luck was not to continue, however, as the next over saw Pat Hobbs (2-13) take his first wicket, having John Cranch bowled off his pads. The next over saw West pick up Glenn, caught at short mid wicket by Hadleigh Scott-Kirk.

The pressure on the South Brent bowlers was now being applied by the Yelverton bowlers, backed up by some sharp fielding saw 23 consecutive dot balls, which eventually led to the second wicket for Hobbs, a second catch for Scott-Kirk.

The returning Lojszczyk (1-13) picked up his first wicket of the season, having Dave Lewis caught by wicketkeeper Zubair and the score at 46-4. A period of South Brent resistance followed, and reached drinks only 4 down.

However, after drinks the wickets became more frequent with Dan Keylock (2-26) and Steve Colmer (3-19) bowling sharp to have the South Brent middle order failing, the wickets including one sharp catch low at short mid on by captain West.

The win was complete with Parker taking a catch running back from 1st slip off the bowling of West, the final score at 85 all out. Shortly after the final wicket, the expected rain arrived to validate the decision to declare earlier by Yelverton, allowing them to pick up the maximum 20 points.